Welcome!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

"A Week Of Monsoon Rains"


      August 6, Monday. I woke up wondering why my mom did not wake me up earlier. I almost panicked! I found out that classes were suspended due to the heavy rains since the night before. "Yipee, no class!" was my first reaction. But the rain continued throughout the day and as we watched the news on TV and saw a lot of places were flooded, I began to worry and news of another class suspension made us sad already. They said there was no typhoon, only monsoon rains. But the effects were massive: people losing their homes, vehicles were stranded, evacuation centers were crowded, they needed food and clothing.


 I am glad that my school did their best to help the monsoon rain victims. Classes were called off the whole week for the relief operations where generous people donated goods for the flood. You would expect most students to be playing during that time, but instead, many students were very busy, busy with helping, some carrying, loading and unloading goods, others packing relief goods. The jam-packed multi-purpose center was filled with students, parents, teachers and staff. Even my younger brother had something to do, including picking up empty boxes which was also important or else, the place will be full of cartons lying around.


      Our teachers put up a Weebly site for reflection. Let me share what I posted in answer to the questions they posted:                

      "I feel very sad because I see a lot of children and families losing their houses, properties and even their lives. I also feel sympathy towards those in the evacuation centers because they are living in a hot, crowded and uncomfortable place. Some people are already getting sick, they feel cold, hungry and even bored. They worry when they will go home. I feel angry too, because some people don't really care and just throw their garbage in the different bodies of water, they litter carelessly so the drains clogged and the water can't flow freely. At the same time, I felt helpless because I can't give them shelter and I can't make the rains stop. I prayed for the flood victims. And God is good, he allowed me to help in my own small way."
     
"God allows these things to happen because he wants the Philippines to learn how to save nature, don't litter, plant trees, to be close to Him and remember Him. God is in these typhoons and monsoon rains because He created them. He wants us to know that without nature, we would not be able to live. But, if we don't take care of nature, it can be very harmful. I see God in all the people who are helping in the XS Call of Duty. When I was writing the donation of goods coming in on the first day, I saw that a lot of people were really generous and kind. I was even surprised that some people who donated are not from Xavier. They said they just heard and got texts that the school receives donations. I see God in the teachers, students, parents and volunteers who share their time and efforts. I see compassion and community of God in action. I see that with unity, we can help others more. As I help put the canned goods in the plastic and hear that thousands of bags have been packed, I know that God loves us and this is one way of showing we love Him by serving the flood victims. I pray that they will also see God in their hearts even when it is difficult."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following Sunday, our family joined Auntie Cheryl to help in a medical mission in Subic. That being my first time, I was surprised to see so many people who are in need, not only of  of basic needs, but medicines as well.  My brother and I shared our used clothing. My mom said it would be nice to see that they go directly to the children who needed them. There was a commotion as many kids and mothers tried to get as many clothes as they can before the clothes will run out. Many times they were asked to fall in line but they didn't until we finished distributing. Doctors were trying their best to give the best diagnosis while my brother, my good friend Gabe and I helped in cutting the tablets so the right number of medicines be given to them. The trip was long and it was raining, but we had a good and memorable experience.

If you have the opportunity to help others, no matter how simple, take it. Just as I did in our school and Olongapo City. When you help pack relief goods, you help a family.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture from bta.bg
       I have yet to post this article above about the recent monsoon rains and how it affected so many people, now a new typhoon and monsoon rains brought another flooding incident. Typhoon Karen caused flooding again in some parts of Quezon City, reaching even chest high. In Manila, people were walking in the flood that were knee-high. Our Saturday make-up class was suspended again! How I pray that the Filipinos will seriously learn to throw trash properly, to reuse, reduce and  recycle. I wish that the government will immediately find solution to the flooding problem. In my own little way, I will dispose garbage properly and segregate.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zachary,

    Lovely blog!

    Me and my 10 year old son enjoyed reading your blogs. He said that your blog about the rains has inspired him to help out next time. But I hope we will not experience another flooding.

    Congratulations to your parents for raising such a fine and civic-conscious son. I am sure they are mighty proud of you.

    Hope to read more of your blogs. God bless.

    With much admiration,
    Tet
    P.S. I shall ask my son to comment on your other blogs. His name is Jasper. He said he hope to get to meet you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tita Tet,

    Thank you for reading my blog and posting wonderful comments. I am very happy to know that I can inspire somebody. In the same way, you inspire me to continue writing. Yes, you are right. My parents are really proud of me :-) They agreed to let me blog so I can share my experiences and improve my writing too! I also hope and pray that we will not have any flooding again.

    Please visit at least once a month to read about my NEWEST and COOLEST adventures. Please share my blog with your friends. I hope to meet Jasper someday, too! Thank you, Jasper, for reading my blog!

    Zestfully,
    Zachary



    ReplyDelete